How to prepare Semiya Payasam
Recipe for Semiya Payasam
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Semiya (Vermicelli Pasta) – ½ cup
- Sago (Sabudhana or javarisi) – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Milk – ½ liter (about 2.5 cups)
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Soak the sago in some water for about 15 mins to get many other things ready. Sago is not necessary to be added to semiya payasam.
- Heat one tbsp of ghee into a pan. Roast up all the raisins and cashews for about 20 seconds until it becomes golden brown.
- Remove it from the pan and keep it aside
- In same pan, add another tbsp ghee and roast vermicelli in a low flame. Keep stirring continously until it becomes golden brown.
- In the meantime, heat the milk.
- After semiya is roasted just add the milk to it then add soaked sago.
- Cook it about 10 minutes on medium low flame with continuous stirring. So
- After the semiya and sago are cooked soft, add the sugar into the milk.
- Simmer up for 5 mins and add up payasam which will be thickened. Paysam is said to continue thicker and adjust the consistency with additional milk.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and the fried cashew nuts and raisins. Switch off and enjoy.