How to prepare Nellika Achaar
- Indian gooseberry (Amla / Nellikai) – 1/2 kg
- Salt – 4-5 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 4 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 5 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash the gooseberries and dry it up.
- Take the gooseberries into a clay jar or glass bottle. Add up salt and tumeric powder into it. Just cover it for about 2 to 3 days. Toss up the bottle for once or twice a day. Gooseberries absorb up all the salt which becomes soft.
- Want to skip the above step to make a instant Gooseberry Pickle and then boil up these gooseberries with 1/2 cup of water with salt and then boil until gooseberries to become soft and proceed.
- Heat oil into a pan. Splutter up the mustard seeds and curry leaves
- Switch off the flame and add up red chilly powder and asafoetida.
- Add up soft salted gooseberries let the pickle to absorb all the other flavors for about 3 days before enjoying it.
After three days, tasty Gooseberry pickle is ready to serve with any other dish or curd rice. Refrigerator it for 4-5 months.