How to prepare Idiappam recipe
- 3 cups rice
- 2 cups freshly grated tender coconut
- 1 and half tsp salt
- Oil for greasing pan and idli mould
- Piece of banana leaf
Method to prepare:
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 3 hours
- Drain the rice and grind it with the coconut to make a fine batter, gradually adding about 6tbsp of water. Mix in the salt
- Lightly grease a oan with oil. Transfer the batter to pan. Stir in 3-4 cups of water.
- Place the pan over moderate heat and cook, stirring continuously for about 15 mins, till the batter is stiff enough to shape into balls.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool a little. Grease an idli mould with a little oil.
- Shape the batter into large lemon sized ovals while still warm. Make a small depression in each ball with a moistened finger.
- Spread the banana leaf on perforated sheet of idli mould and arrange the balls on to it. Steam them in beatches at a pressure cooker without any weight for about 15 minutes each until its cooked. Remove the balls from the cooker.
- Insert one ball at a time in a semia mould when its hot. Press the balla and collect the emerging strands of idiappam on a plate palced underneath.
- Spread a clean damp cloth in a wooden board and lay the strands on to it without allowing them to touch each other.
- When cool then transfer the idiappam to bowl and set it aside which is covered with cloth.
- Serve it with any chutney of choice.