How to prepare Chakka Pradhaman
Chakka Pradhaman (Jackfruit Pudding) is one of the best dishes in Kerala. At the time of Jack fruit season its made into popularly known as Chakka Varati. This varati is used for many months. People tend to enjoy jackfruit payasam. Here i will be sharing the recipe of Chakka Pradhaman and will share about chakka varati sometime later.
- Jackfruit – 12-15 pieces
- Jaggery – ½ cup
- Thin Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom – 2 (crushed)
- Cashewnuts – 2 tbsp
- Coconut bits – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Choose ripe jackfruit to make best pradhaman. Remove its seeds from jackfruit (chakka) pieces. Take up half flesh and puree it. Other half, chop it up into small pieces.(You are free from puree at the entire thing. I like to have some bits of jackfruit in my payasam.)
- Chop or Grate the jaggery and melt up into a thick bottomed pan with about ¼ cup water.
- Strain the jaggery to remove up its impurities. You can skip up this step if jaggery is of good quality without any impurities.
- Just take jackfruit puree from jackfruit pieces, jaggery strained syrup and one tbsp ghee, coconut milk into heavy bottomed pan. Cook it up on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Jackfruit to be cooked well, payasam to be thickend. Adjust up withy more milk or water if its needed. Add up some more sugar if pradhaman to be sweeter.
- Add this stage, just add thick coconut milk and caradmom powder. Switch off from its heat through.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee into a small pan and roast up the cashew nuts and coconut bits. Add payasam to it. Tasty jackfruit pradhaman is ready to enjoy!!!