How to prepare Ada Pradhaman
Ada pradhaman or Ad payasam is one of the best dessert in Kerala. Its said to be a type of kheer which speciallty made for Onam and Vishu. Its a part of Vish Sadya as well as Onam Sadya. This is made with tapioca pearles and rice pasta cooked up in coconut milk and jaggery syrup.
- Rice Ada – 1 packet (250 gms)
- Jaggery – 500 gms
- Sago (Tapioca Pearls, Sabudhana, Chawwari) – 1/4cup (optional)
- Coconut Milk (Thick Milk) – 2 cups
- Diluted Coconut Milk – about 6-7 cups (as needed) – Note: * You can use canned coconut milk or extract fresh milk.
- Dried ginger powder – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Ghee – 3-4 tbsp
- Cashew nut pieces – handful
- Coconut slices (cut in to small pieces) – handful
- Boil water in a big pot. Add rice ada and cook it until its done
- Drain up the excess water. Pour some cold water over to the ada to prevent it from sticking up to each other. Keep it aside.
- In a smaller pot cook some tapioca pearls in an enough water. When pearls are well turn transparent then drain up the water and keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and melt up the jaggery inside the little water.
- After jaggery is well melted just strain up and metal sieve to remove up many impurities from it. Return back towards heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cooked ada, diluted coconut milk and cooked sago to the jaggery.
- Bring it to a boil.
- At the same time, heat up the ghee into a separate pan and then fry some cashew nuts and coconut pieces until it turns golden brown color.
- Add finally fried cashews and coconut pieces along with cardamom powder, ghee, ginger powder, salt and thick coconut milk to the payasam.
- Mix up all the other everything and switch off. Do not boil after adding up thick coconut milk.
- Garnish it with cashew, coconut pieces and serve cold or hot.